Setting Up A Kanex meDrive File Server

OK, I'm a bit of a geek and I admit it. I have used hundreds of software titles and apps but setting up a file server-that I have never done. So when Kanex offered me the opportunity to review the Kanex meDrive File Server I was a little hesitant but thought I would give it  try. I had watched their video on their web site and thought - wow that looks easy. So last week, when the Kanex meDrive File Server arrived, I was eager to see just how easy it really was to set up. The Kanex meDrive File Server is a little smaller than an iPhone in an all white enclosure that resembles what you would expect to purchase from Apple In the box you will find the Kanex meDrive File Server and a micro USB cable, an Ethernet cable, and getting Started Guide. To power the Kanex meDrive File Server you will need to plug it into a power adapter which is not supplied. I found an Eveready Power USB Adapter at Staples for $5 dollars which is plugged into the supplied cable. I next plugged the Ethernet cable into the Kanex meDrive File Server and then plugged that into my wireless router. Next, I then plugged in a 2 GB Flash drive into the hot swappable Kanex meDrive File Server which served as my storage. With the Kanex meDrive File Server connected I downloaded the Kanex meDrive App from the App store to my iPhone and opened the app. I configured the meDrive app and within seconds I was up and running. Who knew that I could install a file server on my home WiFi network so quickly.

The beauty of having a file server set up in my home is that I could back up and store my files that I routinely save when I use Keynote and Pages app. Both apps support the Copy to WebDav which is ideal for the Kanex meDrive File Server. To test out the Kanex meDrive File Server I went to Pages on my iPhone and used the Copy to WebDav command. Once I entered my IP address and user name and password for the file server drive into the dialog box I was able to save my files to the Kanex meDrive File Server. It was incredible just how fast it took me, to configure the file server once I took it out of the box. In addition to supporting WebDav, I was also able to import pictures and videos which was a great way for me to back up my files. All in all, the Kanex meDrive File Server was easy to set up and could be a great tool to use on your iPad in the classroom to store and curate Keynote, Pages, Numbers and other Apps that support Copy to WebDav. Kanex meDrive File Server is available from Kanex for $99 and is well worth the money. Set-up was a snap and n excellent value proposition!


Comments